Sunday, April 18, 2010

My name is Kieren Sheridan and I am a college student. My path to college success was not always easy. Finances, home struggles and lack of resources were among the challenges I had to overcome along the way. However from a very young age my parents imparted a strong belief to me that college was a necessary goal in order to have options for achieving success in my life. My objective is to help others to realize how a college degree can have a dramatic impact on their future and show them how they can achieve this regardless of their current circumstances.

In order to reach a wide audience of current and future college students I have recorded an informational video based on my own college experiences that can be viewed right here.



It is imperative that students understand that the outcome of receiving a college degree justifies overcoming the obstacles along the way. I would like to help today’s youth realize their potential through the benefits of higher education. As a student I understand that the process of college application can be daunting, to say the very least. From applying to schools, filing for financial aid, and obtaining student loans, it’s easy to see why potential students would give up before they have even completed the process. Then once attending their institution of education, students are overwhelmed by the changes they are experiencing from homesickness to peer pressure. This is particularly true of students without a strong support network at home, or for students without parents or relatives who are familiar with the college application process. During my visits to classrooms and conversations with students I have found that many potential college students feel there is a lack of information easily available to them regarding the application process. Some do not have a full understanding of how their personal and academic life can be affected by the decision to pursue higher education. In an effort to empower current and future college students to succeed and value higher education, I am currently implementing several cost-free, easily accessible resources for students to help them along their journey, including the video you can view right here.
My goal is to reach young people and make the prospect of career selection or college attendance less daunting while encouraging them to lay a strong foundation for the rest of their education by keeping good attendance and involving themselves fully in both academics and extracurricular activities. I believe building bonds between college role models, close in age to the high school students they are mentoring, will encourage more relevant conversations, as opposed to the typical “lecture” approach. These college mentors will provide students with both advice and the opportunity to be heard. I am currently entering high schools to speak with students about the importance of higher education and also learn what their personal experiences have been with the college process. I hope to provide students with the tools to encourage and empower them to realize and achieve their goals.

I currently hold the position of Miss Fulton County and am utilizing that title to take my current efforts to a higher level. With the support of the Miss Fulton County Organization, I plan to grow my program by reaching out to the middle and high schools throughout the entire state. I also want to reach out to administrators to learn about their accomplishments, areas of concern and ways I can help them expand their efforts to help students meet the goal of higher education. As a representative of the Miss America Organization I am proud of the scholarship opportunities that are available to promote higher education. Sharing these opportunities with people across New York will allow me to continue encouraging our youth to overcome struggles and celebrate their accomplishments while achieving their goals for success.

“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”-Nelson Mandela

No comments:

Post a Comment